Monday, November 28, 2011

At last we speak

Dearest Dema,
I have so much to update you on that I can't even remember what. So, I will start with us trying to get in touch with you. We got the phone number of the orphanage and tried calling several times without any luck. I think we were calling to close to the evening and were missing everyone in the office. Then we tried calling in the morning your time and finally got someone in the office. Here is where it started to go downhill. I thought my Russian was better that it actually is - well, I got a comedown pretty fast! I realized pretty quick that I can only count to 20, say colors, and identify pieces of clothing! That does not make for an easy conversation with someone who doesn't speak English. Anyway, I think I got from the conversation that someone would be back at 10:00 that spoke English but then I fell asleep because it was the middle of the night.
We were getting discouraged and kept trying, but kept getting no answer. So, I got the brilliant idea to ask a neighbor to call that speaks Russian. So I called her up and begged her to help us and thank goodness that she agreed to help out. So I ran over an international calling card, the phone number to the orphanage and a list a questions to ask you.
We didn't hear anything back for several days and I was beginning to get anxious, but lo and behold - she called and left a message this morning that she had heard from you!!!! We were so excited. She said that you were doing well and sent us you love. You didn't want anything specifically but were anxiously awaiting us. I am so happy that you are still looking forward to being a part of our family. I was worried that as a teenager, you would rather be with your friends and not with some strangers! Maybe that is a crazy worry, but trust me, I know that teenagers can be crazy sometimes.
I will be calling her back later to squeeze every detail out of her about your conversation, but as of now I am basking in the knowledge that you are ok and are still waiting for us.
Love,
Bethany, Amanda, G3, & G4

No comments:

Post a Comment