Friday, April 19, 2013

Back Seat Drivers


Well, yesterday was busy but everything worked out just fine. Amanda was ok with going early to the studio and afterwards we drove to the driver’s ed class. Once we got there, Alex looked at me and said, “Ok, you don’t have to go in with me, just wait for me.” I was so surprised, I almost fell out of the car. I think this came from the fact that there were no other parents there and he saw a bunch of pretty girls checking in. But whatever the reason, he wanted to go alone - after all the rearranging we did! But I just smiled and said, “Ok - no problem.”

I knew that he had been terribly worried and that letting me go was hard, but he had an image to maintain in front of the other kids. But I walked him in anyway and checked him in the class. The teacher saw him, remembered him by name and off Alex went. I made sure that I was close, and saw him during the 10 minute break. He said everything was going well and he was understanding everything fine. The teacher had even called on him for a question that he was able to answer correctly. I think this helped his spirits and he bounced back into the last hour of class with a smile in his face.

After the class, Alexs was happy and relaxed. A little miffed that he had had to sit through 2 boring hours of class, but the anxiety was gone. I asked him how he was going to react in future classes and he said that he was fine and would do ok.

So in the end, I made sure I was there for him and he stepped up to the plate and went alone. I got to spend some time with Amanda and everyone was happy. For a minute I wondered why I was sitting outside if he didn’t want me in the class - we could have stuck with the original plan, but then I realized it was just that, the fact that I was sitting outside available at any minute that allowed him to let go of me. He knew that at a moment’s notice, I was there to step into class with him if her desired. I am glad it all worked out so well. So in the end, I am glad I didn’t make him confront his anxieties head on  because of my time schedule. He eventually did, but on his time schedule.

But an unintended side effect of his driver’s ed class, now Alex drives everywhere we go, but it is now with an annoying commentary on how bad everyone else’s driving is. We will be turning at a light when he will say something like, “I learned yesterday..... and that car in front of me didn’t do it right!” He has become the worst back seat driver to other people. Ack, I can’t imagine when I drive again, which I haven’t since he got his permit, but when I do - OMG it will probably be nothing but a litany of complaints about my driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment