Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Day 25: Tomorrow never comes


Dearest Alex,
I can’t believe it. Today is the last visit to the orphanage! Tomorrow when we go it will be to pick you up. This whole thing has my stomach tied in knots. I am so excited and nervous and scared and happy all rolled into one ball of nerves. I bet you feel the same way. I can’t imagine what it would feel like to leave not only the residence with which you are familiar, but your friends, your country, and your language. I have some of the same trepidations of bringing a child into my home that I can’t fully communicate with and trying to meet all of your needs.
I hope that I can communicate to you that we love you so much and that any problems or transition you face will not have to be faced alone. You have a whole family that will be with you every step of the way. We can’t take away some of these things, but we can help you with them.
So today, we were back with our driver Sasha and his poor car. It obviously has not gotten all of its problems fixed and we were worried that we would not make it to the orphanage. But we did and saw your smiling face. As usual, every time I get to see you, I am overcome with how lucky we are to be able to adopt you. You are such a wonderful kid.
Anyway, we started with more school work (I know, dull, huh?) but it has to be done! After about a half-hour, I let you off the hook to visit with Sergei and Max. Max today seemed more comfortable around Becky and Kevin. He also was feeling very left out as the big boys were playing with their electronics. He kept coming into watch what you and Sergei were doing and the last time had such a hang-dog expression on his face, it was pitiful. So, I stepped in and fussed at you older boys and I am so proud that you all put down your games and went outside with Max. A soccer ball was procured and fun and games were had by all for about an hour. It was warm out but there was a pleasant breeze blowing. The only bad thing was that the steel mills have started up again and there is more pollution in the air.
But all too soon, Sasha pulled up and we had to go. But this time, I know it is the last good-bye I will have to say. Thank goodness. We are going to be able to come back to the orphanage in the morning to get you. As an added bonus, your Grandma is going to come as well to say good-bye. I am excited about meeting her. G3 and I went out today and got her some flowers and we will give her some money too. I know she needed medication for her heart, but I think it is easier to give her money so that she can get exactly what she needs.
There was supposed to be a party at the orphanage, but Sasha has asked if we could skip it. I think in a way, that is ok. You have had these last few days of vacation and the weekend with your friends, and a big todo over the whole thing might be overwhelming. Just remember, if you want to come back (and I hope you will to see your Grandma) just ask, and we will bring you. You have special roots here that are precious and unique that I want to nurture and keep. You live in a global world - no one stays in one place anyway.
This afternoon has been a flurry of activity as we prepare to leave tomorrow. Sasha has prepared us that it may not happen, but certainly on Friday. We went shopping at the department store nearby again, Objura is how you pronounce it, and bought some more clothes for you. It is a little warmer here now than we anticipated and many of the clothes we brought for you will be too heavy. This way, you will have a variety to choose from.
We also went to several small boutiques to get presents to bring home to everyone. Look out, our suitcases are packed to the brim. We bought out the rest of the sidewalk chalk for the kids at the orphanage as well since that was such a big hit.
This evening we went out for our last dinner with the Radzinski’s. They treated us tonight - thanks so much you all! (Well, you really have been treating all along - we have been so lame!) We have now shown them all around the place and given them our favorite haunts to eat at. They will be carrying the torch from here on out!
Can’t wait for tomorrow - my stomach is tied in knots just thinking about it. It’s kind of like the night I spent before my last c-section. You know something stupendous is going to happen the next day and make you happier than your wildest dreams, but you still have some feelings that there could be some bumps in the road and know that there will be some painful recovery afterwards! Weird but true.
Anyway, love you bunches dear Alex. We are counting the minutes until we can hold you and never have to let go.
Love,
Bethany, G3, G4, & Amanda

1 comment:

  1. THIS IS SO EXCITING!! I am all nervous and excited just imagining what this is like for you, Bethany! I hope you keep posting every day if possible...I'm hanging on every word!

    ReplyDelete