Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 1: Kiev

Dearest Dema,
Well, we are finally here. The flight was pretty good actually. I had been dreading it after the last trip we made to Ukraine, but this went relatively easy. We left Utah in the middle of a lovely snowstorm and flew to Detroit. From there it was only an hour layover to get on the flight to Amsterdam. We gave Amanda the one first class seat we had, and boy did she have fun. She was well fed and enjoyed at least 4 hours sleep in the comfy chairs. G3 and I did not fare so well - we really didn’t sleep at all. We were lucky to have booked two aisle seats without anyone in the middle - so we were able to stretch out - but I guess excitement and nerves prevented me from sleeping - G3 was complaining he was hot. So that brings me to the first piece of advice for other families traveling, dress in layers. I was cold one one leg of the trip, G3 was hot. You never can tell.
Anyway, we made all our connections easily. The only problem was the smell of B.O. on the last connection from Amsterdam to Kiev. I forgot how much Americans are phobic about smells and how much the rest of the world doesn’t seem to care.  When I go back home I am going to keep some kind of scented something, like lotion, handy to mask the odor!
The plane to Kiev landed right on time and we filed out of the plane, down the stairs and took a bus to the terminal. We got in the Non-Visa line, which was the slowest moving line of all, and slowly inched our way closer to Ukrainian soil. When we got up to the passport control officer, he asked us what the purpose of our visit was. We answered, “To visit a friend - Sasha...” He wanted to know where, so thankfully I had the email that David sent to me of Sasha’s address pulled up and ready to show on my phone. He actually copied it down, so here is my second piece of advice to traveling families - put his address on a piece of paper that is easily retrievable. We were then ushered through without any problems and then went to get our bags.
After we got the bags, we went to a little kiosk in the middle of baggage claim that had customs declarations forms on it. One side had English forms and we were preparing to fill them out declaring our cash etc. when an airport employee came over and asked us why we were filling them out. (It was odd that we were the only ones!) He told us that unless we were carrying over the equivalent of 10,000 euros in cash (I think around $13,000 American dollars) that we did not have to fill them out. Since we were only carrying the equivalent of $8,000 each - we skipped the forms. We took the bags over to an X-ray machine where they were x-rayed (without anyone actually looking to see what was in them) and then waltzed right out of there. Easiest customs I have ever gone through! So yet another piece of advice for families traveling - no need to pay anyone to help you through the process - easy as pie and pretty quick overall.
When we went out of the customs area, we saw immediately two men holding a sign with our name on it. One of them introduced himself as Sasha and the other was Sergiy our driver. They helped us with our bags and into a van we went driving away from the airport. I remembered from our last trip that the drive from the airport was depressing. It seems that it takes you through the worst areas of town! But after fighting traffic for 45 minutes, we were driven around the city to a suburb where Sasha lives. We did some shopping and exchanged money and off again to the apartment.
Another thing I had forgotten was how small the apartments are! This two bedroom apartment is smaller than a good sized hotel room, but that is just the way things are done here. I have gotten too used to spreading out more and more in my big American home. However, sometimes things can be too small! When we come back to Kiev with you, Dema, we will have to look for someplace bigger - I honestly don’t think 4 of us would fit in here together.
But all in all, it is nice to be back in Ukraine again. We are so anxious to see you Dema - hopefully Wednesday will be the magic day! I’ve got to go now before I fall off my seat in tiredness.
Can’t wait!!!
Bethany, G3, & Amanda
(I am leaving out G4 since he is stuck at home for now studying for finals.)

No comments:

Post a Comment