Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 19: Just tripping along


Dearest Alex,
Well, today just solidified it - I really don’t like London. Excessive rain again this morning so Amanda and I just stayed in and caught up on school work. Then we ventured out to Foyles, the biggest book store in the world. It was sublime (every homeschooler’s paradise). We loved every minute, and even stretched out the visit to stay in their cafe.
I didn’t want to leave, but finally had no choice - it was getting too expensive to stay. Then Amanda and I walked around and decided that since it was such a nice day with a little blue sky finally showing - we would walk instead of taking the tube. Famous last decisions!
I have noticed that people here are always rushing and running about. Well, as we were walking (Amanda was ahead of me as always with her long legs and I was rushing to catch up) I tripped over an uneven segment of pavement. And I must add, there seems to be uneven segments of pavement everywhere. Anyway, I was tripping along and thought I could right myself, when a gentleman came running by to catch his bus and knocked me off balance. Well, that was the end! I went sprawling on the pavement, knocking my knee hard on the pavement. Several passersby helped me up and I brushed aside their offers of help, as I was really more embarrassed than anything else. Well, that was until I took the first step - agony coursed through me and my right knee and once I realized I was hurt, I could just feel it swell by the minute. So, after a half an hour where I tried to talk myself out of it, Amanda prevailed and off in a taxi we went to the nearest emergency room.
No offense to the British, but I know why America has a better health care system now. I was seen in pretty short order, but once the xrays were considered without a fracture (not by a radiologist mind you - there wasn’t one on staff at night) - that was the end of it. Even though the doctor admitted there was soft tissue damage (probably a torn ligament) he stated that there were no orthopedists there in the evening, no MRI, and nothing else that could be done. He said the knee was too swollen to brace, but that I should come back in the morning and they would brace it for me. That was it, other than ice and elevation. In America, if there was even a hint of ligament damage, an ortho referral would be made along with an appointment for an MRI. Oh well, maybe that is why we pay so much! But I am secretly glad our system is the way it is - expensive or not, we have the best acute care system in the world. So, I hobbled out of the ER on crutches they gave me. And BTW, the whole thing was free. Anybody from out of the country is free unless they get admitted to the hospital for surgery or something like that. So I basically got a set of crutches for free. Now let’s hope nothing serious is done (I can’t bear weight on the leg) that can’t wait until I get home. We are flying to Ukraine tomorrow!
So, as I am sitting in the ER, I get a phone call from Sasha saying that everything is a go for court on Saturday! YAY! I am super excited about going back to Ukraine and getting moving with this adoption.
See you Saturday,
Bethany, G3, G4, & Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment