Monday, April 30, 2012

The rest of Day 23


Dearest Alex,
Well as usual just seeing you brightened our spirits immensely. You are so happy and fun to be around. We got to see you about 10:00 this morning. We got your suitcase back from storage yesterday so we were able to take it in this morning and show you the clothes and see if they fit. I was especially concerned about the shoes fitting. You wore a size 10 when you came last summer, but on intuition I bought size 11. They seemed to fit just fine - maybe a little big but not too much. Everything else seemed just fine and I think you liked everything. Here you are looking cool with new sunglasses.


We finally also had been able to charge your Nintendo DS that we had bought for you. Boy was that a big hit. Sergei rushed in and then the two of you were gone, swept away on a tide of video game surf. The Radzinski’s came and again I can’t tell you how nice it is to have another set of parents here going through the same things that we are. But unfortunately you and Sergei were so excited about the Nintendo that everyone forgot about little Max. Finally Sergei was able to be pulled away from the game long enough to get little Max.
We let everyone play for a while but then I decided to be evil homeschooling mom and pull you away from the electronics just for a half hour or so to do some English work. You didn’t want to come but good-naturedly agreed and let me drill you with flash cards. Again I have to say how proud of your English I am. It is really coming along. I am wondering whether or not you will even need a tutor, but I will wait to make that decision when we get home.
Little Max was all over the place so we ended up outside visiting with a bunch of kids. It was nice to see everyone that had come over last summer. I know that they are anxiously awaiting their parents soon. We have met one young lady named Yana (sp?) that seems to be about 14 or 15. She likes you (we can tell) but she is so sweet and polite. She gave us a picture that she had drawn that was on display. We felt so honored. We have it safely packed away in one of our suitcases and we are going to take it home and get it framed so that you have a little piece of a happy memory to look upon. She was doing a beautiful cross-stitch today as the kids were outside, so I sat next to her and talked as best we could for a while.

To the Bahr family - Tanya was there but for some reason I didn't get her in the picture - I think she had wandered off for a minute.
Everyone had a great time visiting and all too soon Sasha was calling telling us it was time to go. Boy, today was hard to leave you. I still don’t see why we have to - I am counting the days until we don’t have to say good-bye any more. I am really tired of saying it. But I have to console myself with the knowledge that we are on the downhill side of everything. I should be home in no more than two weeks. That makes me happy, because not only do I miss everyone at home but knowing that you are coming with us is comforting.
We rested a little in the afternoon while Amanda caught up on some school work and then walked over to a nearby department store. It is the same one we went to a couple of weeks ago to get your track suit. We are looking for gifts to take home to everyone. We also got lost in the book department again! I swear, homeschoolers can’t stay away from books. We found some great workbooks and I had to restrain myself from buying several more. We are at a space premium and more books would be too heavy to take home. But I couldn’t resist one for little Max (make it someone else’s problem!)
I have to interrupt myself here for a minute. As we were sitting around this afternoon, our conversation turned to Sasha (our facilitator not our driver - how confusing - maybe we should institute a name change for someone!) We have been so impressed with how great he has been. Reflecting back on our court date (still a traumatic memory) and everything else - he has just been wonderful. We feel so lucky to have his help and support over here. We feel so well taken care of.
We met the Radzinski’s for dinner. It was lovely. We were recommended a steak house by one of the basketball players we met, and it was fabulous. There was an outdoor patio with beautiful lighting and trees all around. The temperature was perfect - it felt like we were in an exclusive seaside cafe somewhere in Monaco! The food was fabulous and the company great (we love you guys and are so happy you are here now!) It was picture perfect. We lingered over dinner for almost 3 hours. But the curse struck again - we tried to pay for dinner (and this time were able to) but then when it came time to leave a tip - we didn’t have the small bills to do it! ARGH!!! These people are going to think we are sponging off them! As an aside to others traveling over here, you can charge food but they run through the amount on the check and there is no opportunity to leave a tip. So the tip gets paid in cash and is about 10% for a good tip. But that means you have to have the cash on you.
So, tomorrow, the routine will be the same - 2 hours to visit you at the orphanage (which is in my mind 22 too little) - and then the afternoon to stew about how much we want to be with you! You certainly are getting a lot of love sent your way from us!
See you tomorrow.
Bethany, G3, G4, & Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment