Sunday, June 17, 2012

Epic Parenting Fail

I am posting again today as the events of the past few days are enough for their own post, and I didn't want the paperwork post to get lost in the comings and goings.

On Thursday, G3 worked from home so that he could go and apply for Alex's American passport with me. They require both parents to be present and they are only open from 10-4pm. Not the most friendly of offices! Then it was off the the dentist office for both Alex and myself. I had to get a filling redone and he needed his root canal. I went first and then it was hist turn. He was surprisingly calm about it. The dentist allowed him to put his earphones in and listen to his music, so that helped out. They worked on him for 2 and 1/2 hours! Ouch! But he was calm throughout. The office was small, so I had to knell on the tile floor next to the dental chair to hold his hand. He squeezed my hand a few times, but overall, did really well. The bad news is that they were not able to finish the root canal and he will have to go back on Tuesday for the rest of the work! He was a little bummed about that, but lightened up after he asked for donuts and I took him by Krispy Kreme. Boy that kids can eat! Two dozen donuts and they were mostly gone the next day! I cooked him some homemade mashed potatoes and a veggie sautee thinking it would be easy to chew and he scarfed down every bite of that too. On Thursday night, G3 took G4 kayaking at Deer Creek Reservoir - taking advantage of how light it stays out late. I kept Alex at home, even though he wasn't complaining about his tooth, I knew that he would most likely be hurting.

On Friday, he was back to normal. The housecleaners were coming and it was a frantic rush to clean up the house so that they could clean. I think Alex believes we are crazy to clean before they come to clean, but I haven't had time to explain that if there is clutter around, they just clean around it. In order to get a good deep clean, I need everything to be put away.

We went out grocery shopping with everyone and two carts later, was stunned by how much food we go through. I forgot what it was like to have a teenage boy that is growing in the house. G4 is out of the eat everything in site stage - thank goodness, but Alex is still in it. We went out to see Mirror, Mirror at the movie theatre that night. The boys thought it was stupid, but Amanda and I liked it.

When we came home, Alex needed dinner number 2 as usual, so I sat outside with him while he ate it. I was so tired and wanted to go to bed, but he begged me to stay. So I ended up by falling asleep on one of the chaise lounges. He went and got my computer and started playing a game. I woke up about 30 minutes later with a stiff neck and decided, enough was enough - I was going to bed. Now here is the EPIC FAIL part of the story. I said goodnight and went in the house, carefully and unintentionally locking the door behind me! I can't believe I locked my child out of the house! I went to bed and slept like the dead, while Alex was trying to call me all night to get in. He could have knocked on the bedroom window or called G3, but he didn't. Finally at 5:52 in the morning, G3's phone rang. Alex told us what happened and I ran to let him in. Poor kid was half frozen. I felt SOOOOO bad. Alex correctly called me a LOSER and what could I say other then, "Yes, yes I am!" He then announced he was going to bed.

He slept until about 2:00pm and when he woke up, continued to call me a loser. When Sergei called and invited him over, G3 was concerned about driving him all the way to Draper (about 45 minutes away). I answered that we owed it to him for leaving him out all night! So we loaded up the kayaks and all of us and dropped Alex off with his friend and went kayaking. It was a lovely night to kayak. After it was too dark - we had a picnic lunch and watched the sun go down. Absolutely breathtaking.

This morning (Father's Day) we were all going to go hang gliding, but as usual the kids wimped out. 5:30 am was just too early! So, I took G3 and had fun taking pictures. He did amazingly well for his first time and I think has been bitten by the bug! He was able to take several solo flights - the longest of about 150-200 feet about 15 feet off the ground! The kids all slept late, but took care of the animals and got mail, etc. while we were gone.

We are planning a cookout tonight - I am marinating a steak for Alex, my final peace offereing for making him stay outside all night! We will rotisserie a pineapple, grill corn and have veggie burgers for the veg heads in the family.

Hope everyone has a Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment