Saturday, June 9, 2012

Sickness Hits!

Poor Alex was sick yesterday. I knew something was up when he got up and then went back to bed. He spent most of the morning in bed, as I shuffled the others back and forth to other activities. Finally at about 2:00, I went downstairs to see what was going on. He was burning up with fever and was just looking pitiful. I felt so bad it took me so long to catch on, but there is the lack of communication for you. I bet he was starting to feel poorly earlier but realized that I wouldn't understand.

Anyway, once I realized how sick he was, I immediately swung into action with fixing the fever, hydrating him, and keeping him busy with movies on the computer. I was so worried because Amanda had a graduation ceremony that night to get her engraved black belt and we were all going to it. I knew that she would be upset if we all didn't come, but I didn't want to leave Alex alone either. So I decided to do what I usually do when the kids get sick - go to mommy's bed and get fluffed and puffed and comfortable with everything needed at hand's reach. This led to another disagreement but it was only half-hearted. I took him by the hand and led him upstairs to my bed and fluffed the pillows and pushed him in. He kept saying, "No mom, my bed. In Ukraine, no in mom's bed." I said, "Tough - in America, get in mom's bed. Amanda does it, G4 does it, and now you do it!" He finally smiled and let me fuss over him. I felt really bad but by this time the Motrin had started to work to break the fever. I left him a ton of food, drinks, iPads, telephone, and computer all within easy reach.

I left feeling bad, but I kept in touch with him by texting every 30 minutes or so. The ceremony was really great and I even shed a tear when tying on Amanda's black belt. She has worked so hard over the past 5 years and faced so much adversity with all her medical problems, I am so proud of her accomplishments.

By the time we got home, Alex was feeling better and was more active - moving out of my bed to play video games. Poor Amanda was exhausted and went to bed really early. Alex was hungry (sure sign of recovery) and we ended up outside again while he ate. G3 and G4 came out bringing out the good binoculars and we spent about an hour stargazing. We even found the ISS streaking across the sky. It was a beautiful night, just the right temperature, without any clouds.

Alex was in a cuddly mood and just snuggled up against me as we looked up at the stars. He just kept saying over and over how he loved me - it was really sweet. I think he was so surprised that I wanted to take care of him when he wasn't feeling well. I don't know for sure - but I get the idea that he expected me to pretty much leave him alone! He obviously has not had much mothering in the past - but he will get used to my smothering ways :)

Alex is just such a great kid. I caught G4 talking to someone yesterday about having Alex in the family and he summed it up perfectly saying, "It's like he has always been there. He just slipped into our family and our hearts without us really even knowing. He has been a great addition."

1 comment: