Thursday, June 21, 2012

San Francisco and a love/hate list

Despite a very late start to the day (primarily because Alex and I didn't want to get out of bed), we got a lot of sightseeing in. I drove Alex down Lombard Street, went to Golden Gate Park, ate massive sundaes at Ghiradelli Soda Fountain, went up in Coit Tower, bought sourdough bread at Boudin's on the wharf, and ate dinner and shopped in Chinatown. It was a really fun day, but the crowning glory was finding a Russian supermarket. Alex was like a little kid running up and down the aisles throwing things in a basket. I suggested he call his friend back in Utah (Sergei) and see if he wanted anything. Well, that resulted in another basket of things!

As we were fighting traffic and driving around, I was thinking of all the things I love about Alex. But I also have to be realistic - there are a lot of things I hate also. Then I realized, they are almost the same things, just in different amounts. So I will do a top 10 love/hate list. This should cover the basics!

10. Smarts - Alex is smart. He is bright and quick, but he hates school work and hates schedules. The schedule part I am good with, but the lack of schoolwork has to change.

9. Athletic - I am proud of how active and strong Alex is. Everyday he wants to show me his muscles so that I can proclaim how much bigger they are. He is always biking, jogging, jumping on a trampoline, jump roping, or at kickboxing. However, the flip side is that he often needs someone to do these activities with him or drive him and sit and watch. This gets tiring (really fast). He was even suggesting to me that once we get home from vacation, that I should work out with him. I just said no, but I didn't have the heart to tell him that the only place I like to run is back and forth to the fridge!

8. Music - He really loves his music. I like this and have really enjoyed exploring new genres and introducing him to our music. Our tastes are pretty eclectic, he even liked some of the African music we listen to. But, even though I like music, when it is so loud that my ears are ringing after getting out of the car? I mean, really?

7. Immaturity - I know that Alex had to grow up too quick, but there is a huge streak of immaturity there. It is almost like he stopped developing when he went into the orphanage. It makes for a fun little kid at times. I like that, because when you adopt an older child, you miss a lot. This gives me the chance to catch up and put my stamp on some parts of his growing up. But, the other side of this is well, immaturity. Sometimes, you don't have time to deal with it and it gets annoying.

6. Maturity - I know this sounds ridiculous coming on the heels of the immaturity, but there it is. These kids are an interesting mix! Alex is so mature sometimes. I can rely on him in certain circumstances because I know he will come through for me. But the other side of this is sadness that he is too mature and had to grow up too quickly. I realize that there is no going back on some things and I regret that I missed a chance to parent through them.

5. Hygiene - I love the fact that Alex is a clean person. We haven't had to deal with any major hygiene issues, thank goodness. However, he has to shower morning, night, and sometimes in between. And the money we spend on Axe body spray! He reeks of it every time he goes out. We are going to need to take out a loan to pay for the body care products!

4. Good-looking - Alex is a doll and he knows it. I can't believe though how irritating it can be at times. We were walking along the street after dinner tonight in Chinatown, when a car pulls up across the street. It was a red Corvette and had two pretty young blond girls in it. I was immediately on high alert. I noticed Alex perk up and look over, when to my surprise the driver winks at him. He winks back and then the passenger leans over and waves at him. He noticed me watching and just blushed and walked on without responding. I have a HUGE problem in my hands here! Sometimes I wish he wasn't so cute - can't wait to get those braces on!

3. Not being a morning person - I considered this for number 1, but even though I love sleeping, I will have to admit, there are things more important. But not many! I love the fact that Alex likes to sleep in as much as I do, but then when it goes into the late afternoon? Needing a crowbar to pry him out of bed at 2:00 in the afternoon is excessive! We will have to work on somewhat of a loose schedule at some point - like maybe up by 11:00 am.

2. His sense of humor - Alex is the most fun person to be around I have ever met. He is happy go lucky and always up for a joke. Now that I know more Russian, I am picking up on all kinds of little jokes that he makes. He really is funny and once he knows more English, I know that he will fit in our family (with our heavy sarcasm) just fine. However, the flip side is the joking sometimes never ends. He doesn't know when enough is enough and has trouble settling down when it is needed.

1. Love - I can't say enough how I treasure his love. At least 50 times a day I hear the words, "I love you Mom." I feel so honored to be the recipient of his affection. I know that he does not give it lightly and I know that he really does love me. I am so thankful that he has the capacity for love and affection and that his scars do not run deep enough to have affected this. However, the flip side is the how much he needs in return! At least 100 times a day he needs affirmation of my love for him. I know that he has not had much affirmation in the past and craves it. And I know that he needs the constancy of a family, but there are times when I need a break. The emotional burden is hard to bear and there are times when I feel like I bear it for both of us.

Funny how the best things about a person can also be the worst! But I am happy to be getting to know Alex so well! Everyday he seems more and more like a true member of our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment